SVT asks that riders conduct themselves in a way that shows respect for drivers, fellow riders and the vehicles. Everyone benefits by riding right. Riders enjoy a safe, secure, comfortable and inviting atmosphere, and the overall efficiency of the transportation system improves. A driver may ask any rider to get off the bus for violations of these rules.
Common Sense Guidelines
SVT’s Code of Conduct can be summed up with the following common-sense guidelines:
• Pay the right fare
• Respect other riders privacy
• Do not cause safety problems
• Use headphones
• No eating, smoking or littering
• No alcoholic beverages
• Do not harass driver or other riders
• Do not lie down on the seats
• Respect SVT property
• Use SVT services for transportation purposes only
Infractions can result in a citation and fine up to $250.
1. Bringing onto an SVT bus any package or other object which blocks an aisle or stairway or occupies a seat if to do so would, in the driver’s sole discretion, cause a danger to, or displace, riders or expected riders
2. Allowing any animal to occupy a seat on transit property, to run at large without a leash, to unreasonably disturb others, or obstruct flow of passenger or bus traffic. An animal may occupy a rider’s lap while in a bus
3. Allowing his or her animal to leave waste on the bus
4. Eating or drinking, with the following exception: Drinking a nonalcoholic beverage from a container designed to prevent spillage is permitted on the bus.
5. Riding bus for the purpose of sleeping rather than for their intended transportation-related purposes
6. Extending an object or a portion of one’s body through the door or window of a bus while it is in motion
7. Hanging or swinging on bars or stanchions, with feet off the floor, inside a vehicle; hanging onto or otherwise attaching oneself at any time to the exterior of a bus
Misdemeanors can result in a citation and fine up to $1,000, and/or arrest and imprisonment in the county jail for not more than ninety (90) days.
1. Intentionally obstructing or impeding the flow of bus or passenger movement, causing unreasonable delays in boarding or de-boarding, reclining or occupying more than one seat, or in any way interfering with the provision or use of SVT services
2. Smoking or carrying a lighted or smoldering pipe, cigar or cigarette while in a bus
3. Discarding litter other than in designated receptacles
4. Playing any sound-producing device except when the equipment is connected to earphones that limit the sound to the individual listener. However, the use of communication devices by driver or public safety officers in the line of duty is permitted, as is the use of private communication devices used to summon, notify or communicate with other individuals (pagers or cell phones).
5. Spitting, expectorating, urinating or defecating except in restroom facilities
6. Unreasonably disturbing others by engaging in loud, raucous, unruly, harmful, abusive or harassing behavior
7. Defacing, destroying or otherwise vandalizing the vehicle or any signs, notices or advertisements on the vehicle
8. Drinking an alcoholic beverage or possessing an open container of an alcoholic beverage
9. Dumping any materials whatsoever on transit property, including but not limited to chemicals and automotive fluids
10. Throwing an object at the vehicle or at any person on the bus or transit property
11. Failing to pay the appropriate fare
12. Falsely representing oneself as eligible for special services by making a false representation
13. Falsely claiming to be a driver or other transit employee; or through words, actions and/or the use of clothes, insignia or equipment resembling department-issued uniforms and equipment, creating a false impression that he or she is a driver or other SVT employee
14. Bringing onto the vehicle odors which unreasonably disturb others or interfere with their use of the transit system, whether such odors arise from one’s person, clothes and articles, accompanying animal or any other source
15. Engaging in gambling or any game of chance for the winning of money or anything of value